What comes to mind first when we come across the word ’empires’? The Mughal Empire, the Roman Empire, the British Empire and so on, isn’t? How about the term ‘modern-day empires’? Well, that makes us think of powerful countries in today’s world – such as the US, China, Britain, Japan, Germany and so on.
Little are we aware that it’s not countries or kingdoms that are modern-day empires. It’s the world’s biggest corporates or companies. These massive transnational companies are the modern-day empires that today run almost every aspect of our lives.
Here’s a visualised look at the most influential companies or empires of our times by market capitalisation. The illustration gives us a clear picture of how the empires compare against each other.
Top 10 Modern-Day Empires (by Market Capitalisation In 2020)
1. Apple (US): $1.9 trillion
2. Saudi Aramco (Saudi Arabia): $1.8 trillion
3. Microsoft (US): $1.5 trillion
4. Amazon (US): $1.5 trillion
5. Alphabet (US): $969 billion
6. Alibaba (China) $729 billion
7. Facebook (US): $711 billion
8. Tencent Holdings (China) $637 billion
9. Berkshire Hathaway (US): $499 billion
10. Visa (US): $429 billion